Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Steve Earle: N. Y. C.

SONG N. Y. C.

WRITTEN BY Steve Earle

PERFORMED BY Steve Earle

APPEARS ON El Corazon (1997)

NOTE 1 The cover art is by the Chicago artist Tony Fitzpatrick. 2 That's  Buddy Miller playing lead guitar in the video.

"N. Y. C." stands as one Steve Earle's top rockers and most requested songs. It tells the story of a middle-aged, somewhat disillusioned man who gives a ride to Billy, a young and hopeful hitchhiker who wants to try his luck in New York City. After all, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, right?  Billy relates his adventures to a rueful, half envious listener, and summarizes his impression of all that New York has to offer in these words:
I heard the girls are pretty
There must be something happening there
It's just too big a town
The dual allure of sex and boundless opportunity being what it is, Billy shouldered his guitar, put his thumb in the wind, set out uncomplainingly through "a thousand miles of sleet and snow and rain."

The older man is skeptical, but keeps it to himself. He tried New York once, but struck out in a week. The girls, who by now represent opportunity itself, "wouldn't talk to me." Thus, Earle establishes a tension between youthful exuberance and optimism v. experience and disillusion. Look, the older man reasons to himself, at what Billy will go through just to take a shot at making it in the Big Apple. Coldness, dampness, and hunger are nothing in comparison; and very possibly disillusion is a fair price to pay for the paradoxical experience of youth.

So, the driver "slips the kid a twenty" because maybe -- just maybe -- Billy will be one who makes it, and the twenty will play apart. And no matter what, Billy is twenty dollars further down a meaningful road already filled with "a hundred stories."
LYRICS
He was standing on the highway
Somewhere way out in the sticks
Guitar across his shoulder
Like a thirty ought six
He was staring in my headlights
When I came around the bend
Climbed up on my shotgun side
And told me with a grim

I'm going to New York City
I've never really been there
Just like the way it sounds
I heard the girls are pretty
There must be something happening there
It's just too big a town

He was cold and wet and hungry
But he never did complain
Said he'd come a thousand miles
Through sleet and snow and rain
He had a hundred stories
About the places that he'd been
He'd hang around a little while
And hit the road again

I'm going to New York City
I've never really been there
Just like the way it sounds
I heard the girls are pretty
There must be something happening there
It's just too big a town

See I've been to New York City
Just like it was yesterday
Standing like a pilgrim
On the Great White Way
The girls were really pretty
But they wouldn't talk to me
I held out about a week
Went back to Tennessee

So I thought I'd better warn him
As he climbed out of my car
Grabbed his battered suitcase
And shouldered his guitar
I knew I was just jealous
If I didn't wish him well
I slipped the kid a twenty
Said "Billy give 'em hell"

I'm going to New York City
I've never really been there
Just like the way it sounds
I heard the girls are pretty
There must be something happening there
It's just too big a town

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I've always loved Steve Earl. And Buddy Miller; it's almost odd at this point to see him duck into the background like that. Lots of good music coming out of that whole crowd - Emmylou, Linda Ronstadt, Buddy's wife Julie Miller, Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch, etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this band, plus Julie M. on vocals. She and Buddy performed a mini-set mid-way through the show. Steve looks like he hasn't washed his hair for a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie and Jenna are going to NYC this weekend. I'm going to put this on Jenna's ipod....

    ReplyDelete